The core of the building, together with the cage tower, was part of the second town’s second fortification from the 16th century. The striking front building of the entire Käfigturm-Bundesplatz group of houses acquired its present façade in 1740. In 1880, the Egger brewery in Worb bought the property and opened a restaurant. The well-known trompe-l’oeil windows facing the Bundeshaus have existed since the creation of the Bundesplatz and the construction of the parliament building in 1902.
In 1999, the old Café Fédéral was renamed Entrecôte Fédérale and has been run by the Uehlinger family and their dedicated team ever since.